Thursday, March 11, 2010

What would you use it for?

          Because God likes mythical creatures too... That is what I said when my teacher, (my mom) asked "Why do you think God made a fish like this?"  "because of their tusk, many people actually thought long ago they were unicorns..."

Today I got my vitamin C from a glass of orange juice. I was reading about another way to get a daily dose, an even better dose of vitamin C than I got. What is it, you ask.. you may not like my answer. How about a slab of narwhal hide for breakfast? Yes, that is what the Eskimos found as one of the many uses for this huge "mythical creature-like" fish called a narwhal.
The Narwhal is hunted for many reasons, one being the large, unusual tusk they have. The tusk can get up to nine feet long! It grows from the fish's upper left tooth.It also spirals towards the left. The Eskimos have found all kinds of uses. Some of the uses are tools, cups, and such. The hide of this animal could be used for so much too, like maybe a dog sled harness. The dog sled races are going on right now, too, (check it out! exciting!)  how timely to read about this. The Narwhal is found mostly in the Arctic  waters. They  cannot survive in warm waters.
Surprisingly,  the narwhal  likes to be with other whales. They can swim fast and smoothly through the waters. It's tusk comes in handy to help them hunt for the the food they eat. They can eat a fish whole, the tusk does not get in the way. Who would have thought?? Only God, right? (a retelling by me,  from nature friend 3/10 issue)

No comments: