Friday, February 26, 2010

A little ancient Mexico

I read today about the Aztecs in a Geography book. I liked the photographs of the majestic Popocatepetl volcano. I liked the description of the sun setting over this volcano. I had to try to find some more pictures to fill my mind with how it may have looked. The book said " it looked as if the sun was being swallowed by the crater".  As I had to read on and learn more, it was hard to take. It was so hard to read on. I read how the people believed their gods were cruel and ferocious. How they demanded sacrifice, human sacrifice that is..  When the last ray of sunlight was on the rim of the volcano, the priest of these pagan worshipers took it as a signal to go ahead.. and that is all I am going to say about this. whew...you will have to look up the Aztecs yourself to find out more. The time period of the Aztecs was the fifteen hundreds. This is the time when the Spaniards were discovering new worlds, the Americas. The Spaniards introduced the Aztecs to guns, horses, and Christianity. When I look at pictures of the cities built around this time frame I find it inspiring, and beautiful.They were very skillful in the arts. There were goldsmiths, stone masons, and weavers. All at the best of their abilities at this time.

Photo: Popocatepetl volcano at sunset
















Photo: ancient Aztec ruins








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Horrific, isn't it, what they thought about their gods?

K.M.K out



P.S.look up KatieMarit on Ravelry
Thanks Katie